Philip Kocev was born into real estate. With a Realtor mother and property-investor father, this York University graduate and arts enthusiast worked his way up the corporate ladder before returning back to his real estate roots. Philip is currently a Broker and Managing Partner of the Toronto offices at iPro Realty Ltd., an independent, fast-growing, full-service real estate brokerage, and the GTA’s 2nd largest. As a savvy, Toronto-born, property investor and city enthusiast, Philip’s 20 years in the real estate industry make him a valuable resource to his Sales Representatives, Brokers, clients and colleagues.
Philip began his professional career the summer before starting at York University and after receiving the McDonnell Douglas Foundation Scholarship in 1997, when he was also offered employed in their Human Resources department. Shortly after starting this new opportunity, Philip switched his major at York from an Arts program to Business Administration. He graduated from York with Honours in Human Resources (HR) Management and obtained his designation with the Human Resources Professional Association (HRPA), currently holding the associations Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) designation.
Over the next 12 years, Philip spent his time working his way up the corporate ladder in various roles where he was able to oversee HR and facility departments, gaining local and global experience in each of the functional areas of HR along with exposure to mergers, acquisitions and organizational restructuring. Philip’s last role before entering real estate full time was with professional services firm Deloitte, where he worked in their HR Transformation practice. This opportunity allowed him to travel internationally and exposed him to high profile, global clients and forward-thinking HR initiatives, including process and organizational redesign and implementing centralized HR services with regional internal call centres.
By 2009 Philip found himself at a crossroads when the owners of the then Sutton franchise, where his mother was a Realtor, Rui Alves & Fedele Colucci, were starting iPro Realty. Being the great organization they are, Deloitte allowed Philip to take a sabbatical and help with the initial start-up of iPro’s first Toronto location, a satellite branch on the Danforth, close to his Toronto home. As they say, the rest is history, as other than some periodic contractual work, Philip never returned to Deloitte.
While assisting in the iPro Realty Toronto start-up, Philip initially focused on client sales and quickly rose to be in the top 10 Realtors at the brokerage and developed his own real estate team. As Philip’s team and client sales grew, so did iPro Realty’s Toronto Danforth branch. Although Philip enjoyed real estate sales, he was missing his consulting and HR leadership work. When Philip was asked by iPro to take over and expand the Danforth branch, as well as open a 2nd Toronto branch in the Junction, he gladly accepted.
As his role at the Brokerage grew, Philip moved away from direct client sales. The team members of his real estate team remained together and re-branded as the Beacon Real Estate Team, where they now work as individual contributors, managing their own books of business while having the benefit of shared resources and team support.
Philip is a proud shareholder and member of iPro Realty’s leadership team, overseeing their two Toronto branches and over 160 of its 1800+ GTA Realtors, where he has the chance to combine several of his business passions. He enjoys using his HR and corporate background to continue helping iPro achieve its growth goals and support the Realtors who work with him and has become an advocate for the real estate industry, supporting changes to legislation and rules that bring increased value to clients while enhancing the profession’s credibility.
As an active property investor Philip understands what goes into the personal and important decision of buying and selling a home. By personally investing in real estate, keeping on top of market and trend changes, and by providing leadership to the Realtors he oversees, Philip has succeeded in combining all of his life-long passions and looks forward to growing them even further into the future.
Although real estate keeps him quite busy, Philip’s personal interests include the love of travel with his partner Andrew and a passion for the arts. Philip has a performance certificate in Speech and Drama from Trinity College, London England and as a youth, participated in many areas of theatre and film production including lighting, sound, acting writing, publicity, front of house, editing, camera operation, stage management and directing. Philip is thrilled to now be able to give back to community organizations close to him and tie back to his love of arts by supportining organizations like the Community One Foundation and the Inside Out LGBT Film Festival as well as being Treasure of The Broadview Danforth Business Improvement Area (BIA).
Philip Kocev can be contacted at email@example.com or by using the contact page linked above.
- 2020.07.02 CityTV Breakfast Television Buyer trends point to a more positive post-COVID landscape (live)
- 2020.06.24 CTV News Channel National, Toronto enters stage 2 of reopening Marcia MacMillan (live)
- 2020.06.04 Media Conference Small businesses won’t survive without immediate action hosted by Councillor Paula Fletcher & NDP MPP Peter Tabuns
- 2020.05.15 NDP Media Conference Small business owners call for commercial rent relief, moratorium on evictions hosted by Andrea Horwath
- 2020.05.12 CityNews Toronto, Mark McAllister Survey says small businesses are struggling to pay rent
- 2020.05.12 Media Conference Changes to CECRA Needed to Save Small Businesses – Survey Results hosted by Councillor Paula Fletcher & NDP MPP Peter Tabuns
- 2020.05.08 CP24 Dayside (live TV interview)
- 2020.05.01 CTV News Toronto, Austin Delaney
- 2020.04.22 CTV News Channel National, Toronto small business at risk Todd van der Heyden (live)
- 2020.04.22 Media Conference Toronto Small Business COVID-19 Impact Survey Results hosted by Councillor Paula Fletcher & NDP MPP Peter Tabuns
- 2020.04.15 CTV News Toronto, Austin Delaney
- 2020.04.15 Toronto Star Small businesses ask for rent relief as pandemic closures continue
- 2020.04.15 Toronto.com East Toronto small businesses call for rent subsidy amid coronavirus crisis
- 2020.04.15 Media Conference Save Small Business hosted by Councillor Paula Fletcher & NDP MPP Peter Tabuns
- 2020.04.12 NOW Magazine 85 per cent of Canadian tenants paid April rent
- 2020.04.07 Newstalk 1010 Moore in the Morning (live radio interview)
- 2020.04.06 Toronto Star ‘I’m talking about hitting the pause button’: Small business landlords and tenants say they need rent relief
- 2020.04.01 CityNews Toronto
- 2020.03.31 Newstalk 1010 The Rush (live radio interview)
- 2020.03.30 NOW Magazine Small landlords respond to rent strike calls: “Freeze everything”
- 2020.03.26 CP24 Dayside (live TV interview)
- 2020.03.25 CBC News ‘Starting to panic’: Landlords fear they won’t be helped if tenants don’t pay rent amid COVID-19
- 2019.07.22 blogTO Only In Toronto podcast
- 2019.07.22 News Radio 640 Toronto The Morning Show (live radio interview)
- 2019.07.21 CP24 News
- 2019.07.19 Toronto Star A healing Danforth looks back, one year after the unimaginable
- 2019.07.17 Newstalk 1010 (live radio interview)
- 2019.04.15 Toronto Sun Growing up vertically
- 2019.04.22 Toronto Sun Downsizing to the city
- 2017.08.29 REM Online Wrong take on multiple representation